Pages

Friday 22 June 2012

Welsh Cakes - Free From Wheat, Dairy, Egg, Soya

I'm all for trying new recipes with an allergy free twist to them as you know.  Every time I watch a cookery show or read a recipe I always think "How can I make this for the Wee Man?".  Well last night I was watching the Hairy Bikers show and they were making Welsh cakes.  I thought they looked delicious and I could definitely make a Wee Man version. So this afternoon the Wee Man and I decided to try our hand at making Welsh cakes.  I found a recipe on the BBC recipe website and adapted it to suit the Wee Man.
What you'll need
  • 225g/8oz Doves Farm Gluten Free Self Raising Flour, sieved 110g/4oz Pure Sunflower Spread
  • Orgran No Egg
  • handful of raisins
  • Oatly oat milk, if needed
  • 85g/3oz caster sugar
  • extra Pure, for the pan 
    Rub the flour and Pure together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
    Add two tablespoons of water to one teaspoon of No Egg and whisk with a fork until the mixture is frothy.
    Add the No Egg mixture, the sugar and the raisins to the flour and Pure mixture and mix together until a dough is formed.  If the dough is not forming, use some oat milk to moisten the mixture. 
    Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a 5mm/ 1/4inch thickness.  
    Using a cookie cutter cut out some rounds.  That's the Wee Man's favourite job. 
    Rub a heavy iron griddle or heavy bottomed frying pan with some Pure and put on a low/ medium heat.  When the griddle is hot put the cakes on and let each side cook for two to three minutes, turning only once.  
    Each side should be golden brown.
    Remove from pan and dust with some caster sugar.
    Warm Welsh cakes with a cup of warm oat milk brought a huge grin to the Wee Man's face.  Another recipe that will go into my recipe book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I read each one and really value your comments.